Trophies of the Tournament
Trophies Played for During the Tournament
The Roller Mills Shield
In 1924 the Northern Roller Milling Company presented the shield for competition between Primary School teams from any Rugby Union’s district in the Auckland Province.
The first tournament was held in Auckland in 1925. and Auckland won the shield for the first time. Thames Valley alone have achieved the distinction of winning the shield outright in three consecutive years, although Auckland Central (now Auckland West to incorporate further schools) were successful in 1933-34-35-36, twice as co-winners. Bay of Plenty and North Auckland were for a long time participants, but in 1953, after repeated invitations could not be accepted, those Unions were removed from the Council’s list and Waikato was formally required thereafter to field two teams.
The Carson Cup
This trophy commemorates the late Major W. M. (Bill) Carson, who just before World War 2, was one of New Zealand’s leading sportsmen, achieving the rare distinction of being a “double All Black,” representing New Zealand in both Rugby and cricket.
The trophy is awarded to the team displaying the best sportsmanship, behaviour on and off the field. appearance and team spirit in the “A” section of the tournament.
The Johnson Cup
The Johnson Cup was presented by Mr. J. Johnson, formerly of Hauraki Plains. The trophy is awarded to the team displaying the best sportsmanship, behaviour on and off the field, appearance and team spirit in the “B” section of the tournament.
The Friendship Cup
This trophy is awarded to the runner-up in the tournament.
The Spraggon Cup
The Spraggon Cup was presented by the family of the late Mr Brian Spraggon, who had coached the Waikato Rangers Roller Mills team for 11 years and the Waikato Primary Rep team on several occasions. This trophy is awarded to the winners of the Knock-Out Competition at Roller Mills Tournaments. This decides the fifth place getters overall.
The Joe Anderson Memorial Cup
This trophy commemorates the late Mr Joe Anderson, a very capable coach of the Waikato Rangers teams for 20 years, taking them to 19 semi-finals and winning the trophy an incredible nine times. The most amazing run being five consecutive titles from 1978-1982, still a tournament record. The Cup is awarded to the team who have the most points in the round robin section.
The Vancouver Cup
The New Zealand Rugby Union awarded to our Schools Union the Vancouver Cup which had been presented to the 1925 All Blacks, for schoolboy competition in New Zealand, by the Mayor of Vancouver, when the All Blacks played at Vancouver on their return from Britain. The late Mr. Jim Silcock, the Valley representative on the N.Z. Union at that time (and “The Father of Thames Valley Rugby), brought the Cup from Wellington and presented it.(UPDATE…In return the All Blacks presented a Shield to Vancouver, in which it is still played for today “New Zealand Shield”.)